Burrator Reservoir was Engineered by Plymouth Water Engineer Mr Edward Sandeman. Work on the Reservoir started on Wednesday 9th August 1893. It was constructed of concrete faced with granite. The Reservoir was opened on Wednesday 21st September 1898 by the Mayor of Plymouth, J. T. Bond (Councillor). After the construction of the Burrator Reservoir, Plymouth Corporation Water Works (PCWW) placed numerous markers on south west Dartmoor. Farms within the water catchment area were purchased and cleared after 1916. The original PCWW 1917 stones appear to follow the line of the Forest of Dartmoor boundary. Most of the stones that follow the Sheepstor Leat and pass over the summit of Sheeps Tor are dated 1919. There are three 1932 stones at Meavy Head and they indicate that an additional rectangular parcel of land was acquired in that year (or was it disputed and the resolution was the installation of these 3 additional Markers?) In addition, there are seven undated cast iron markers to be found at various Burrator related locations. The PCWW numbering system used by Dartefacts has been chosen to align with the Plymouth Museum/ Plymouth City Council Collection: 'LEAT STONES, WATER WORKS AND WATER CATCHMENTS (LS & PCWW)'. The Black icons represent the 59 x 1917 Markers, the Red icons represent the 10 x 1919 Markers and the Blue icons represent 3 x 1932 Markers. A number of Markers have been 'restored' upright in recent times. There are 3 remaining recumbent (laying down) Markers at the time of writing; No. 25 (possible 1917 Marker Post?) near Devil's Bridge (Devil's Elbow), No. 58 (1917) right next to the most easterly 1919 Marker Post and No.72 (1917) near the edge of the reservoir itself. If it is a PCWW post then No.25 seems to be quite far away from the 'line' - it is speculated here that No.25 might have originally 'filled the gap' between markers 28 and 29 (before going for a journey down the slope?!) Two of the cast iron marker posts are on private land (No.5 and No.6). One of the Markers (No.18) is inscribed onto a tor (North Hessary) and is the only Marker that isn't a post. Marker No. 16 is the only marker post made of Pink Granite and this suggests that some of the markers were made close to where they were placed. There is a possible 'abandoned' PCWW marker (that could also have been destined to be a gatepost?) to be found near post No.17. It is the right shape and possible 'height' but did a bad feather and tare and so was abandoned. The following Plymouth City Council/ Museum website was used extensively in the compilation of this classification: http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/creativityandculture/heritageandhistory/boundarystones/leatstones.htm (April 2016) The information on Plymouth City Museum's web site was collected by volunteers during the Plotting Plymouth's Past project: 'Mark Fenlon and Ernie Stanton researched, located, recorded and even uncovered stones, and shared their knowledge. Michael Chown, Patricia Luxford and Richard Spear have worked behind the scenes on data entry. Gloria Dixon and Doreen Mole have given vital administrative support.'
Map loading...it may take a few seconds