Bowden Mill

Please note that this mill is on private land. It can, however, be partially seen from the road.

We learn from Bodman (2015) that: “Grist mills were operating here in 1775. There was a succession of millers from the 1790s onwards: Ananias Pate was here in 1797-1799. By 1806 the mill was being run by his widow, when offered for sale; in 1812 the property was again on the market when occupied by John French and Mrs Pate. Thomas Bovey, born at Moretonhampstead in about 1792, was tenant in the decade 1841-1851. In 1851 Thomas was assisted in the running of the mill by his 17-year-old son John; he also farmed 22 acres, employing one labourer. He was still here in 1856 when the owner sought to sell the mill….

In January 1892, the mill was for sale: ‘Freehold Flour Mills and Bakery, with good Dwelling-House and Land, also Two Life Policies, for Sale. For Investment or Occupation .. auction .. Bowden Mills, North Bovey .. The Mill is in perfect order, there are three pairs of stones, and abundant water power, capable of working 80 to 90 sacks per week. There is also a capital Oven and Bakery, and a large trade in both branches may be done ..’

A map of the area is captioned: “Bowden Mill, millpond and leat, partly in culvert, in 1905. A retaining wall separates the millpond from the river. The present owner has found mortar stones on site, downstream from the mill, indicating that there was a tin stamping mill here, probably active in the sixteenth and/or seventeenth centuries.

References:

  • Bodman, M. (2015): Mills on the Teign – A gazetteer of water-powered sites on the Teign and Bovey and their tributaries.
  • Sandles, T. (undated): Legendary Dartmoor, Gazetteer.