Ash House, Higher Mardon

Heritage Gateway (HER) records details about Higher Mardon, including its fine ash house, which is described; “Appears to date to the later 19th century (not shown on the Tithe Map), this structure was described in 1994 survey as having been recently white-washed.” The ruins likely became redundant and uninhabited during the construction of Trenchford Reservoir which completed in 1907.

A permissive path runs close to the ruins that are fenced off for public safety and this ash house is a neat example to be found very close to that path. Sadly, as at March 2023, the landowner has closed this access.